The CA Department of Fish & Wildlife has reopened the two parking lots at the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve! However, Amigos de Bolsa Chica public and private tours remain cancelled until public gatherings are deemed safe for our volunteers and all participants in our education outreach efforts. Moving forward, we will also be following a strict regimen in order to maintain a clean and safe environment for learning and exploration.
When is the "best time" to tour Bolsa Chica? ANYTIME! Please note that The California Department of Fish & Wildlife requires all groups with 25 or more participants to schedule their visit on the Master Event Calendar by calling 714-840-1575. Regardless of class size it is highly recommended that all school groups arrange for a Naturalist-led tour. As increasingly high numbers of schools visit Bolsa Chica, overcrowding has become an issue. The Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve has limited parking, and multiple large groups can overwhelm the facilities at the Reserve and negatively impact wildlife. More information from the Department of Fish & Wildlife.
Private Tours for Schools, Scouts and other Organizations
An Amigos de Bolsa Chica tour of the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve helps educators meet specific Next Generation Science Standards required for their grade levels. In addition, a tour of Bolsa Chica adds a special dimension to the comprehensive study of environmental issues including community action, protection of endangered species, marine debris, recycling, and pollution. How Amigos de Bolsa Chica, a small grassroots organization, championed the protection of Bolsa Chica is a wonderful example of how concerned citizens can rally together to protect an historic wetland.
Please download and read the Amigos de Bolsa Chica's Educator's Guide. This guide is designed to give educators detailed background on the various topics addressed in an Amigos de Bolsa Chica tour of the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve. This guide also provides sample activities that can be utilized to enhance your class’s learning experience.
To reserve a Naturalist led wetland tour for your class or group, please carefully read, fill out and return the Tour Scheduling Form. If you have questions about wetland tours or need more information, call (714) 840-1575 or e-mail: email@example.com.
Financial aid for bus tranportation is available for a limited number of qualifiying underserved schools each year. Call (714) 840-1575 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org to see if your school qualifies and funds are available.
The Amigos de Bolsa Chica offer two types of tours, the Footbridge Lecture Tour and the Inner Bolsa Bay Tour, that are designed to meet any educator's or group's needs. To reserve a Naturalist led wetland tour for your class or group, please carefully read, fill out and return the Tour Scheduling Form. Maximum tour size is 60. Tours are free, but a suggested donation of $1 per person or $25 minimum is much appreciated and helps the Amgios continue providing education about wetlands. If you have questions about wetland tours or need more information, call (714) 840-1575 or e-mail: email@example.com.
The Footbridge Lecture Tour
The FOOTBRIDGE LECTURE TOUR is similar in nature to our First Saturday Tour program except this is a reserved private tour for one group. Tours are approximately 1 to 1 ¼ hours in length. This tour is popular with younger school groups, Scouts, birders, and first-time visitors to Bolsa Chica. This tour is also recommended for visitors with special needs and our younger visitors.
The Inner Bolsa Bay Tour
Field Trip Information for School Groups
- Safety and Supervision: For the enjoyment and safety of your group, we request a MINIMUM of one adult for every 10 children. These adults are responsible for the safety and discipline of students and ensuring that students follow the rules. This is not the role of our tour leaders.
- Special Needs and Medical Problems: We request that children with special needs have a MINIMUM of one adult for every 5 children. Please alert the tour leader of any special allergies or medical problems before the tour begins. Bring any necessary medications.
- Our Two Rules: Our two rules (“protect the wildlife” and “listen to and obey your tour leader”) apply during the entire tour.
- Clothing: This is an outdoor program. Weather is changeable, so wear appropriate clothes and shoes for the season.
- Breakfast: Remind your students to have a good breakfast before the tour. Students will not have an opportunity to eat until after the tour.
- Cancellation of Tours: We will cancel the tour in the event of rain and reschedule with the teacher.
2 Rules to Protect Our Wildlife and Your Children
Because the Amigos de Bolsa Chica cares about wetland habitat and wildlife, everything at the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve is protected. Please review our two rules with your students BEFORE your visit to Bolsa Chica. Teachers, aides and parents are all responsible for ensuring that children obey the rules at all times. We want you to have a wonderful experience with nature! Thank you!
Rule #1: Respect the wildlife in their home
- Use a quiet voice at all times
- Stay on the trails
- Do not pick any plants
- Do not harm any insects
Rule #2: Listen to and obey your tour leader
- Only 1 person talks at a time
- When your tour leader is talking, you listen
- Raise your hand to speak
- Stay behind the tour leader on the trails
- Follow instructions
Printable Amigos de Bolsa Chica Trail Map